This week's banner is by Frank from Nova Scotia, Canada

The Friday Challenge
Back to the book | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » The Friday Challenge » Topic: Challenge 898: The Endurance

Posted on 11/03/22 08:09:02 AM
Steve Caplin
Administrator
Posts: 6588

Reply


Challenge 898: The Endurance
One of the few positive news stories this week was the announcement that Earnest Shackleton's arctic ship Endurance had been found beneath the sea, in almost perfect condition. Apparently the lack of wood-eating worms in the arctic meant that the woodwork is almost perfectly preserved.

I found this image of the deck particularly beautiful. I'd really like to see Shackleton back at the wheel, though.

Mariner, if you're going to do your usual restoration you've got your work cut out this week.

High res is here, and you'll have to dig up your own Shackleton.



Credit: Falklands Maritime Heritage Trust


Posted on 11/03/22 09:16:03 AM
Mariner
Renaissance Mariner
Posts: 2387

Reply


Re: Challenge 898: The Endurance
Steve, I think you mean "wood-eating worms", not "wood-eating works".

Just how clean do you want it this time, Steve? Joke.



Posted on 11/03/22 09:50:35 AM
Steve Caplin
Administrator
Posts: 6588

Reply


Re: Challenge 898: The Endurance
Mariner wrote:
Steve, I think you mean "wood-eating worms", not "wood-eating works".


Yes I do! Changed now. Thanks.

Posted on 11/03/22 10:24:26 AM
GKB
Magical Montagist
Posts: 3394

Reply


Challenge 898: The Endurance
Steve Caplin wrote:
One of the few positive news stories this week was the announcement that Earnest Shackleton's arctic ship Endurance had been found beneath the sea, in almost perfect condition. Apparently the lack of wood-eating worms in the arctic meant that the woodwork is almost perfectly preserved.




Arctic?

_________________
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Posted on 11/03/22 10:38:35 AM
Steve Caplin
Administrator
Posts: 6588

Reply


Challenge 898: The Endurance
GKB wrote:
Arctic?


Yes, yes, yes, Antarctic. Iím really not concentrating this morning.

Posted on 11/03/22 10:47:45 AM
josephine harvatt
Gag Gadgeteer
Posts: 2496

Reply


Re: Challenge 898: The Endurance
Another cup of coffee required perhaps
Is this a cue for jokes about skeleton crews ?

_________________
I'm not really bad - I just draw that way

Posted on 11/03/22 3:34:47 PM
Ant Snell
Specular Specialist
Posts: 407

Reply


Re: Challenge 898: The Endurance
My hand has recovered just about well enough to click a mouse so back sooner than expected.



Posted on 11/03/22 3:37:10 PM
lwc
Hole in One
Posts: 2097

Reply


Re: Challenge 898: The Endurance
Lacking the skill and time to do this challenge justice, I offer this quickie... the suit reads: E. Shackleton IV



And that's it for me...

Posted on 11/03/22 6:20:25 PM
vibeke
Kreative Kiwi
Posts: 2143

Reply


Re: Challenge 898: The Endurance
Ant Snell wrote:
My hand has recovered just about well enough to click a mouse so back sooner than expected.




Love it, welcome back.


_________________
Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize.

Posted on 11/03/22 8:26:10 PM
DavidMac
Director of Photoshop
Posts: 4104

Reply


Re: Challenge 898: The Endurance
Not being a nautical type beyond fair weather dingy sailing on the Norfolk Broads, I find this image puzzling.

The image appears to be the stern of the ship. Behind the wheel is a whole load of shafts and steering gear. It would seem clear that the helmsman could only stand on the unencumbered side and, indeed, the only entry so far showing the helmsman has been made in exactly this manner which seems unavoidable and inevitable.

But ........

........ this means he is steering facing backwards with his back to the prow and face to the stern!

Baffled and bewildered of Brussels.

_________________
The subtlety and conviction of any Photoshop effect is invariably inversely proportional to the number of knobs on it .......

Posted on 12/03/22 02:41:02 AM
Mariner
Renaissance Mariner
Posts: 2387

Reply


Re: Challenge 898: The Endurance
Ant, welcome back. Hope the operation was a complete success.


Posted on 12/03/22 02:49:47 AM
Mariner
Renaissance Mariner
Posts: 2387

Reply


Re: Challenge 898: The Endurance
DavidMac wrote:
Not being a nautical type beyond fair weather dingy sailing on the Norfolk Broads, I find this image puzzling.

The image appears to be the stern of the ship. Behind the wheel is a whole load of shafts and steering gear. It would seem clear that the helmsman could only stand on the unencumbered side and, indeed, the only entry so far showing the helmsman has been made in exactly this manner which seems unavoidable and inevitable.

But ........

........ this means he is steering facing backwards with his back to the prow and face to the stern!

Baffled and bewildered of Brussels.

David, I too failed to see the logic of a rear-facing helmsman. I suppose his job is just to obey the captain's orders, so he doesn't need to see which way the ship is going. It still makes more sense to put the helmsman where he can see the bow.



Posted on 12/03/22 11:04:36 AM
Frank
Eager Beaver
Posts: 1263

Reply


Re: Challenge 898: The Endurance
Welcome back Ant - a very nice ingenious return.

Posted on 12/03/22 11:10:09 AM
Frank
Eager Beaver
Posts: 1263

Reply


Re: Challenge 898: The Endurance
Baffled and bewildered David ( and Mariner ) . I too found it curious to have the ships steering aft so did a little looking and found indeed it was.
Hard to find any shots of that area of the ship BUT here's a couple of models clearly showing the wheels location. It appears in our underwater image the box housing the steering mechanism has been destroyed. Hope this helps.



Posted on 12/03/22 11:11:24 AM
Frank
Eager Beaver
Posts: 1263

Reply


Re: Challenge 898: The Endurance
And another without the housing box:




Posted on 12/03/22 11:13:06 AM
Frank
Eager Beaver
Posts: 1263

Reply


Re: Challenge 898: The Endurance
Nice quickie Loyd - hard image to work with.

Posted on 12/03/22 11:13:07 AM
Frank
Eager Beaver
Posts: 1263

Reply


Re: Challenge 898: The Endurance
Nice quickie Loyd - hard image to work with.

Posted on 12/03/22 6:20:16 PM
DavidMac
Director of Photoshop
Posts: 4104

Reply


Re: Challenge 898: The Endurance
Frank wrote:
It appears in our underwater image the box housing the steering mechanism has been destroyed. Hope this helps.


Thanks for the research Frank. Very useful.

But it still doesn't solve the mystery (to me) of why the helmsman was rear facing. Bizarre.

_________________
The subtlety and conviction of any Photoshop effect is invariably inversely proportional to the number of knobs on it .......

Posted on 12/03/22 6:35:48 PM
DavidMac
Director of Photoshop
Posts: 4104

Reply


Re: Challenge 898: The Endurance
Here's an explanation (sort of) gleaned from the web.

The steersman was usually a low ranking crewman who took no decisions. He worked to orders from the pilot or captain or simply held a compass bearing. On many vessels the helmsman stood facing the rear of the ship with the shipís wheel before him and the rest of the ship behind himó this still meant that the direction of travel of the wheel at its apex corresponded to the direction of turn of the ship.

I still find it bizarre.

_________________
The subtlety and conviction of any Photoshop effect is invariably inversely proportional to the number of knobs on it .......

Posted on 13/03/22 06:07:23 AM
Mariner
Renaissance Mariner
Posts: 2387

Reply


Re: Challenge 898: The Endurance
These Friday Challenges just get easier and easier, don't they, folks.
page: 1 2 3 4 last
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]

Powered by SimpleForum Pro 4.6